Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Introducing the Komfort Kover!

Finally, I finished this blanket that I started a few weeks back.  Not a minute too soon......the weather is getting very hot and I was ready to get this off my lap!  It's the third blanket this year for Kozy Kovers for Kids - my goal is to make at least 4 this year, so I think I'm doing well.

I used Joann's Sensations Rainbow Classic yarn for this.  I had 2 skeins in the house and I love working with bulky yarn and large needles, so I doubled the strands, took out my size 15's and got to work.  I like the simplicity of the pattern - I can work on this while watching basketball and not lose my place and I also like the look of the dropped stitches.  I hope you like it too.


Tried to get a close up of the stitches.......
The pattern is free, but I ask that you drop by our Facebook pages for Delaware Head Huggers and for Kozy Kovers for Kids.  Come join us as we make a difference.  Stop by our websites also to see what we're up to, find out how to donate or just learn more about what we do.  

The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .   If you are printing this, use print preview to determine the pages you wish to print or copy and paste it into a Word document to ensure that you print only what you want. 



 
Komfort Kover

You will need:

2 strands of 5-weight yarn – I used Joann’s Sensations Rainbow Classics
            I used 2 full skeins of Neutral Rainbow Classis – 615 yards per skein

Size US 15 circular needle to accommodate the large number of stitches

Cast on 85 stitches

Work pattern:
           
            Rows 1 – 4:  Knit all stitches

Row 5:  K5,  *insert needle as if to knit, wrap yarn around needle two times and then knit the stitch.  This will give you 2 loops for every stitch.*  Repeat from * to * across the entire row to last 5 stitches, K5.

Row 6:  Knit all stitches, working the first loop and dropping the extra loop for each stitch.

Repeat until the blanket is the length you wish.  My blanket is about 36 x 45 and it took 16 repeats of the pattern.

            Repeat Rows 1-4

            Bind off all stitches and weave in ends.

© Robin Celli – May 2012


Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids
 
 

19 comments:

  1. What a great looking cover and so fast to make, I'm thinking! Thanks for the pattern. Much too hot today for knitting, but I'll try this soon.

    Thanks again!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite quick to make! That's because I am not the most patient person! :) It is hot today, but I had to get it finished. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay..looks like fun! Thank you
    glace_3@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this pattern is so much fun .. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like some quick fun. Do you think #6-weight yarn would be too heavy/bulky on Size 15 needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would work - or you could try size 17 needles. Try it and have fun!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Robin. Looks like a quick one and a good thing I have air conditioning! Question: Did you include rows 1-4 in the repeat each time, or are those rows only at the beginning and end? Thanks. Love the loopy look of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pattern is a 6 row repeat with just rows 1-4 to end.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Robin and Schnapps! It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am confused what you really mean with the instructions for row 6... do you only work one strand and dropping the 2nd???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really mean exactly what I wrote......."Knit all stitches, working the first loop and dropping the extra loop for each stitch." Each stitch has 2 loops from the previous row, so you knit the stitch and drop the extra loop.

      Delete
    2. so knit the first stitch, then before you move to the next stitch, do you take the left needle to pull off one of the loops to pull off to drop it?

      Delete
    3. you simply drop the extra loop. the extra loop is already on the left hand needle....

      Delete
  9. Please could you tell me the UK needle size and yarn weight?...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UK equivalent is a OOO needle and aran weight yarn.

      Delete
  10. I am brand new to knitting and I have no idea how to slip a stich, can anyone help me??? I'm also looking to make a baby blanket but the instructions say to K2T and P2T. I understand what it means, but again have no clue how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If u google it, it will show you how on youtube

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your innovative style and easy to understand instructions I always collect your patterns via I Like Knitting but palm face I should of subscribed a long time ago. Look forward to your next creation!!

    ReplyDelete