Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Monday, November 17, 2014

Schnapp's Mobius Shawl!

Schnapps and I have been looking at some of the new cowls and shawls that are out this year.  We have never watched Outlander, but hear that many great knit designs are seen on that show.  All the patterns we saw called for yarn or needles that we didn't have readily available, so Schnapps spent his Football Sunday making this.  I wasn't sure that I would like it, but it is actually very comfortable and toasty warm and it looks cute too.  Wide enough to cover your shoulders, but not long enough to get in my way while you are knitting! 










If you're not a fan of Delaware Head Huggers yet, stop by and "Like" our Facebook page.  Help us name the patterns and see all the beautiful hats that are donated.  Stop by Kozy Kovers for Kids Facebook page too!  We welcome everyone to join us.  Stop by and say hello.  You can always reach Schnapps or me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org too!

Since everyone else seemed to like it also, we figured we would share our pattern with you.  This is easily knit by a beginner.

Schnapps used Homespun Thick and Quick and this used less than one skein.  Using size 19 needles give the finished fabric an airy, flowing feel without sacrificing warmth.

Cast on 27 stitches.

Knit all stitches in every row until your piece is 31 to 33 inches in length.  This is the length that worked well for me.  If you have wider shoulders, just knit a few more rows and make it longer.

Bind off all stitches keeping tension even.

Place bind off and cast on rows together.  Flip one side over to form the twist and seam.

Fluff it out and arrange it - this honestly took me longer than it took Schnapps to knit the whole thing!

Slide it over your shoulders and stay warm.  Or, better yet, give it as a gift to someone special.

See?  Super simple and super quick!

Use needles that are a couple of sizes larger than what your yarn
calls for to keep the fabric draping nicely.

If using 5-weight yarn, use size 13 needles and cast on 45.

If using 4-weight yarn, use size 10 needles and cast on 60.

If using 3-weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 84 stitches.

This pattern can be worked over any number of stitches, so

adjust it to your preferences!

Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. I have just made this in the round but used 54 sts instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you knitted it in the round, how did you get the twist in the finished shawl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would twist before you join and work the first row.

      Delete
  3. Robin is correct :) I did Twist before I joined and worked out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this one all the time. So easy and everyone loves it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. If done in round is it knit one round purl one round to get garter stitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garter stitch is every row knit

      Delete
    2. ONLY when knit flat. When knit in the round, garter stitch is one row knit, then one row purl.

      Delete
  6. I was looking for an easy pattern to make a special gift for a special friend - this is a keeper and easy to understand, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for making this and posting it. I have been looking to make something like this for a while now. My next project! By the way, I really really like your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have a couple of questions ~ first, my mother taught me to slip the first stitch on each row, could I still do this with this particular pattern? and second ~ while reading your pattern just a bit confused at the very end. You say to place the the bind off and cast on rows together and then flip one side over. So when I have mine made up and both ends are side by side, do I then take on side, pick it up and flip it and then place side by side again???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's necessary to slip a stitch, but you can always make changes to patterns to suit your own preferences. To have the shawl as a mobius, you must twist one edge before seaming. If you don't, you won't have the twist to it.

      Delete
  9. Robin,
    I love the pattern! There is one thing in the instructions that puzzles me.
    Before binding off, you say the length should be 31 to 31 inches.
    Is that a misprint?

    Thanks,

    Laurie N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sorry! Mine was 31 inches, but 31 to 33 would work fine.

      Delete
    2. UNKNOWN - 31 inches by 31 inches but if it was longer not to worry.
      At the bind off, Don't forget to Twist one end then sew together.

      If you need extra help go to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSsx_J4OTHA

      Delete
  10. I am a newbie to knitting. How do you seam it together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After you flip the one side, you just seam it as you would any project you sew together. The mattress stitch works well for this.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I love this pattern. I finished one but haven't seamed it yet. I'm making two of them for my sisters, and at least one for myself..

      Delete
  11. I'm new to knitting and will be doing this in the round. I'm confused as to when I twist it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheri,
    You would twist before you join and work the first row.
    YouTube has a video showing you how to do this if you still confused.
    Cheri,
    You would twist before you join and work the first row.
    YouTube has a video showing you how to do this if you still confused.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-b8hLdPiQU

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been wanting to try a Mobius. Thanks for the pattern. The LYS teaches a Mobius cast on. This seems simpler.

    ReplyDelete